Thursday, May 31, 2012

Matt and Mary {Wedding}

What happens during a Portrait session is super slow in comparison to a Wedding Day.  I remember the moments that pass during a portrait session, but even I have to look back at the Wedding Day images that I photographed to remember all that happened. 
 
I recently had the honor and pleasure to photograph the Wedding of Matt and Mary; each have two Daughters.  Both of their first marriages were very troubled and their Daughters lived through all that pain.  

Matt (who I have known for a number of years through photographing his rock band) gave a toast to his new wife that brought a hush to the crowd as he explained that he never dreamed that he and his beautiful Daughters would ever know happiness again. And looking at his Bride, he told her that she gave him the hope that their lives together - as a family of six would be strong and last.  
 
But it wasn't the tears in his eyes or the sound of his voice that cracked as he spoke that made the moment so special for all of us who heard his toast. It was the sight of their four Daughters as they cried tears of joy that their Parents had found happiness.  This was by far the quietest Groom's speech that I had ever witnessed. 
 
Mary then stood and instead of speaking gently hugged Matt. The four girls moved in and hugged their Parents.

I was shooting the whole time of course, that's my job.  Because I know that these are the moments that I would want to remember if I were the Bride and Groom.

You see, it's not just the ceremony, the applause, the cake cutting and throwing of the garter, the dancing and singing, formal shots and candids of family and friends that make the Wedding images so special. It is the intimate conversations, private moments, people holding hands as they watch the couple get married, some smiling ,  some crying, some looking so proud, the hugs and whispers in the Bride and Grooms ears ... some of what they whisper will make them cry and some may make them blush (HA!) ... this is what I photograph.