Friday, June 08, 2012

The Boston Sky - I looked Up and there it was {Scouting}

I like to spend some time "scouting" out new locations. Especially when I'm looking in areas where I photograph all the time. 

It's so easy to play it safe and shoot all the same places, so I force myself to add something new to every session. 
 
I was in Boston recently - just walking though town on a dark and gloomy kind of day and I looked up ... HA!  I know -  well, I never look up. 
The sky was magical - and had that "rainy day in old London" look.  
 
Now the way to make a sky even more dramatic is to expose for one stop below a "correct" exposure.  
 
This also works well for the blue skies I saw just a short time later.
 
New England is well know for the phrase " Hey! you don't like the weather .. wait five minutes

 I did .. and the weather changed!