Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombings - A Letter from Anita that was never sent - Until Today

You will most likely remember where you were and who you were with and what you did when you first heard " Did you hear ? - there was just an explosion at the finish line at the marathon"

And other than calling everyone you knew who may have been at the marathon - that is probably the last thing you remember about that day. 

There were over 300 people injured by the blast.  Four people died. 

One was a little boy named Martin Richard. 

I had the honor to meet Martin, when I photographed the First Communion at St Ann Parish in Dorchester MA -  May 2012. This type of day is a bit "rapid fire photography" so I never knew that I had taken Martin's picture until I was contacted by a TV show producer who called to ask if they could use a video that I had created from pictures and video of the day.

Today (September 18, 2013) I received an Email message from Anita that included a note that she had written to me a few days after the bombing, but had never sent. I don't know Anita, so all I could do today was to respond to her with a thank you note. 

********
To: dan@danbuslerphotography.com
Subject: Fwd: Martin - NOT SENT TO DAN BUSLER (BEFORE) - BUT SENT NOW
From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:56:14 -0400

Dear Dan,

I was reminded of the little boy Martin Richard because of a recent article about his sister.   I never sent you this memo (see below) dated April 16th because I thought it was not the right time to do so (right after the event).   But, I sent it to myself, so I would remember the work you did.  At the time, I was hoping to find a video of Martin and that video was yours, from the May 2012 Holy Communion at the St. Ann's Parish.  I know you surely know this, but wanted to say it anyway - what you do REALLY matters.  Your photography is beautiful.   Thanks for giving us a glimpse of who little Martin was.   I wish you, his family and all those affected by the bombings a future of peace, good health and happiness.

Best,
Anita

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: dan@danbuslerphotography.com
Sent: Tue, Apr 16, 2013 6:12 pm
Subject: Martin - NOT SENT TO DAN BUSLER

Dear Dan,

I only came to know your work because of little Martin.  I didn't know him (nor his family), except for the sweet photo of him dressed up in his formal white suit, one of the few photos posted on various sites.    Then, I read that he was a member (with his family) of St. Ann's Parish.  When I did a search on youtube, your video of the May 2012 Holy Communion popped up, and there was Martin in various spots, including at the end, when the children were singing.  

I just wanted to acknowledge your beautiful work, and let you know that what you do really matters.   

We are all standing with Martin's family and with all of Boston.

Best,

Anita

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I love to take pictures - and I take tens of thousands of pictures every year . They are all important, even when at first they just seem to be a First Communion Day. One day, they will be precious.

So please take photographs everyday - take them as you child leaves for school, as they sleep in the chair in front of the TV, as your husband cooks burgers on the grill in his favorite, but completely destroyed T-shirt from the Kiss concert he went to in 1987. Take them of Grandma at a holiday gathering.

Because every picture is important - so cherish those shoe boxes full of "bad pictures". Those grainy, grey, orange, under/over exposed, torn, wrinkled, "honey - you have to throw these out" candids from your Sister's wedding pictures are important.

I'm so happy about the day that I photographed a little boy at his First Communion ... and even though I didn't say hello to him ... (at least I don't remember if I did), I hope that I at least smiled. 

Thanks Anita for your note - you made my day.