Monday, October 23, 2006

A Race for the Cure

Recently I was asked to photograph the Susan B Komen - Race for a Cure which was held at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. It's a 3K road race where the focus is on raising the awareness of breast cancer.

After picking up my official tee shirt, I headed to the survior's tent. The closer I got, the more excited I felt ...there was a familar smell in the air ...Coffee ...Starbucks coffee. This was going to be a good day! Wait a minute, I wasn't there for the coffee...OK, I'll just have a cup (or three) and then get back to work. Which I did.

As I was walking around the tent I saw such a sea of pink. Hats, wigs and of course the pink tee shirts worn by the survivors. I came across this couple. He was pinning on her number for the race and they were laughing a bit because he was doing such a bad job.

After talking with them for a few minutes about the day and the cause, and the coffee... I said that I had to get going and I told the woman that I hope she wins ... with out missing a beat, the husband leaned over to his wife and giving her a hug said.."We already did"...

and that was the last time I made that mistake ...that day anyway